Rosie’s Story

Published by Pickles13 on

Rosie's Story

“Back in 1998, my family and I were riding motorbikes around our paddock with our boxer Rosie and our Staffie Cassie running around with us. 

It was just another normal Sunday afternoon for all of us. 

But as we were riding around, we noticed that the girl’s had suddenly gone missing. We thought they had wandered off across our 100 acres, so we went out in search of our missing girls.

Soon, panic started to set in. My partner at the time, along with my son and I, were frantically searching for our girls. They were like our two other furry children.

Rosie and Cassie eventually came home about an hour later – from which way we’re still not sure. We put them in our outside laundry to keep them safe until they could come inside for the night as they always did.

Only about half an hour later, we heard loud banging in the laundry. I went to investigate and found our Rosie, aged 3, banging her head on the cupboards. She was hitting and throwing herself against the walls. We let her outside as we thought she had been bitten by something.

My partner held our Rosie girl as she was fitting and crying in utter agony. I called the vet and asked what we could do. After explaining the symptoms, she asked if I had any sleeping pills and if I did, I should give them to her immediately. She said she thought Rosie had been poisoned. Giving her these pills may make the suffering end faster (we live over 40kms from the nearest town).

Our Rosie was held in my partner’s arms as she painfully passed away. My partner gave our girl mouth-to-mouth, which worked… our girl had come back to life, but only for her to experience that excruciating pain again. As tears poured out of her eyes, we felt so damn helpless. We could not help her or take away her pain.

We were devastated and continued to hold our Rosie for at least an hour after she had passed away, sitting in the dark on the back lawn bawling our eyes out. We were both in complete shock and were utterly devastated.

Weeks later, we found out that an existing property owner had laid 1080 baits and did not inform us. I told him what had happened to our Rosie. He was devastated and admitted to putting out 1080 baits the week before without telling us. He apologised, which was nice of him, but wouldn’t and couldn’t bring our girl back.

This tragic, sad, cruel and painful event has not and never will leave my mind.

People simply don’t know how dangerous this poison is. They don’t know what happens to the innocent animals who ‘take the bait’. 

R.I.P. Rosie… until we meet again”.